Wednesday 20 July 2011

I wasn't at the Bersih rally

I wasn’t at the Bersih rally.

I have however followed all the developments leading to and after the rally closely. I am unequivocally in support of the general ideals of the movement.

Yet, I wasn’t at the rally.

There wasn’t a definite reason why I didn’t go; somehow throughout the build up, the sense of fanfare did not sit well with me. 

I somehow couldn’t find that place in my gut that said “Yeah! This is the thing to do!”, that it would be worth it. I just couldn’t be sure.

As I am writing this I’m getting a sense that this isn’t going to be a piece that will be popular with many people, some, very dear friends, some, people I truly respect and look up to.

Yet this is my truth.

If you did attend the rally, well done! I’ll say it now. IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO! To stand up and be counted, to somehow send out a message to say “I don’t want to be short changed any more, and by the way I’m too fed up to be afraid!”

I am however becoming increasingly concerned with the emotional reactions generated post Bersih.

After the rally we’ve all seen many videos and written testimonies that were heartfelt. One theme rings through – SOLIDARITY. The claim that people of different races and creeds coming together, working towards a common purpose, against a common enemy.

The Lady Of Liberty.

The death.

The water cannons, tear gas, brutality, reluctant enforcers, lost, confused, inspired… hope.

Hope? Really?

Ever watched Pearl Jam live in concert, thinking it was the show of the century, and then watched the video of the same concert on VHS? Then realised that Vedder’s singing was nothing compared to the album you had come to love?

Missed notes, cracking voice all masked by the live band and you singing along.

When the euphoria fades all that’s left is the engineered memory of a great concert, influenced by nuances of the mosh pit moving in unison, communal pot being passed around (amongst strangers no less) and the guttural sound of 50,000 fans singing the chorus of Jeremy.

The truth however remains, missed notes and a cracking voice, pale in comparison to the promise of the album.

If you are still reading this well done, don’t write this off just yet.

The problems for Malaysia sit on many different levels. They all begin with the people in power. A corrupt, manipulative bunch that have been around for 2 generations - over 50 years.

Therefore I say a call for fair and transparent election practices that will likely erode the death grip of this bunch of monkeys on Malaysia is indeed the right thing to do.

I also said earlier, the problems with Malaysia sit on different levels.

The definition for a ‘level’ differs amongst individuals.

For me personally, I couldn’t care less if it was really Najib or his ape that actually ran the country. My problems aren’t even really about the questionable moral standing of the administration.

They are about what affects me.

I am denied equal opportunity in Malaysia, the land in which I am born.
I am subject to unfair taxation practices based on race and religion.
Oppressive limitations are set on the practice of my faith.

I have always stood against the illogical, vicious defense of the enshrined Malay position.

Not the Malay position itself, not the NEP, but it’s simple-minded defense. This is no doubt a product of propaganda put in place by the government to buy in the masses to create a secure grass root base that would continue to elect the same monkeys into position provided the gravy train remained. 

How would you expect the gravy train to last when Najib, his ape and countless others think its ok to go on RM 73,000,000 jewelry shopping excursions?

Yes, it does seem now that we are all victims of circumstance. The mass Malays at one end of the spectrum having grown used to the gravy train and now not getting enough against the rest of Malaysia, some 30% of it, with even less propping up the country through taxes paid saying “Hell! I’ve had enough!”

The mandate previously given by the mass Malay population to the government to systematically subdue other races, for they own benefit is now evidently eroding. I am convinced it isn’t because they recognise the injustice and oppression. It simply is a case of the house - dog turning feral on its owner when it isn’t fed enough.

I personally don’t think they should have the cake and eat it.

I should have been at the Bersih rally to claim what is mine (constitutionally) from an oppressive government. If I were there with a bunch of people wanting more for themselves, I wouldn’t call it solidarity.

If I were there with those wanting political reform to form a Muslim state to enforce Huddut laws, I wouldn’t call it solidarity.

If I were there with those wanting to further exploit other races for their benefit, I wouldn’t call it solidarity.

Not by a long shot.

It has always been the Malay thing to take their demonstrations to the streets and wear their emotions on their sleeves.

They’ve done it so many times, 9 out of 10 against non - Malays and our beliefs. Dare we forget the cow head issue in Shah Alam? The Cina balik China? use of the word Allah? They almost seem to like demonstrations.

They demonstrate against their neighbours, to the government whom they claim has failed to protect their rights. The government slaps them on the wrist then moves to offer some form of solution to make them happy. It’s all wayang kulit.

Just because we happened to march along side at the same time, this time, does not make us brothers in arms. It did not mean we achieved a common goal. It did not even mean we had the same goals to begin with. It certainly does not mean they will stop marching against others, when they see an opportunity to.

Yes, I am generalising here. I know there are Malay individuals who truly believe in the equality that we strive for, I acknowledge and thank you, you are the hope we are so in need of, on the other hand there are also Chinese and Indian sell-outs who take on the name Abdullah to avail themselves to government contracts and Bumiputra privileges, these are just as bad if not worse.

There must be some change to convince me there is hope. Change either in the psyche of the Malay community or the composition of the government.

Change to affect some semblance of equality and fairness. One party needs to accept it and the other to facilitate it.

So did Bersih 2.0 work? Depending on what you wanted it to achieve.
We did make noise.
We got noticed.
Got the Queen of England to wear Yellow.

Free and fair general elections? I don’t know.

Free and fair in general? No.

So what's next?
 


No comments: