Thursday 13 January 2011

Why I Believe God is real.

It’s a fundamental question that logically should be answered simply enough by any Christian. Funnily it isn’t.

This is my testimony.

Many times in our daily attempt to live Christian lives in a secular world, we are seen as an outdated people. Our non-believing friends tend to question our motivations to “stick by” a set of “outdated values”, honestly believing that it is indeed better to get ahead, un-hindered by said values.

I’ll attempt to communicate why I believe in God from a totally secular stand point, to prove that the message can in fact be delivered coherently to a non believer without requiring any Christian leaps of faith.

I believe in God because He is REAL to me. He is physically present to me and interacts with me in the same way I interact with other people. I see Him in the form of His actions in my life, the lives of those around me and in the environment I am in. I experience Him through deep and interactive dialogues and am able to understand what he expects of me personally. He is aware of me and I am aware of Him at all times, just as with anyone else, I might overlook or misunderstand Him because of my personal traits and limitations.

The relationship I have with God is akin to that of a child and a nurturing parent.
The child always finds reassurance in the presence of the parent, never questioning the wisdom of the parent but at times refusing to cooperate because of it’s inability to see beyond the wisdom of the parent’s prohibition of the proverbial “forbidden fruit”.

How can God be physically real to me while He is totally non-present to the guy next to me?
As I love my children just as any parent would theirs, how I deal with the needs of my children could differ totally from another parent. A parent’s reaction would be determined by sets of physical, physiological and psychological variables ranging from the availability of time and money to the aspirations of the parent for the child to how well the parent recognizes and understands the needs of the child.

Just because a parent does not personally send and pick up a 5 year old attending preschool everyday, but defaults the duties to some hired driver, does not mean he or she does not love the child as much as one who does.

You might not recognise either one scenario as your reality, but you’ll agree that it is still reality, non-the-less.

Now you see and understand how something can be life-changingly real for me but not affect the guy next to me. It might have been easier to relate to this scenario because we all see and know children, therefore can anchor our understanding to this.

What if we were talking of something that had no form or matter?

Imagine a radio, if you had your radio tuned to a particular channel, lets call it Metal fm, heard the music and felt really disturbed. That would be your reality. Mine is simply tuned to God fm and I hear a different reality, the better my training to tune the reception the clearer the message.

The reality is that transmissions are there in the form of radio waves but it will never manifest its coherent form to us if we do not attempt to tune into the channel.

Just as you cannot disbelieve the existence of another radio channel from the one you tuned into, you cannot disbelieve that I do indeed listen to a different genre apart from the metal you are listening to during your morning drive to work.

What if my channel offered a prize for those who engaged, called in and answered some questions? Would you question the existence of the prize, until the time you actually got through and got rewarded? Just because you had difficulties getting through, would you question the legitimacy of the competition? And finally would you still remain skeptical if the guy next to you had actually won a prize from the channel?

No comments: