Wednesday 16 February 2011

Valentine's Day fiasco.

It doesn't take much to get me going these days.

Recently, all it took was the Selangor Religious Authorities, their counterparts in other states and a handful of bloody idiots.

Valentine's Day to me means nothing more than a huge commercial celebration, probably thought up by some jeweller or florist somewhere in the west to boost dying sales. Much like how dear Santa was probably thought up by Coke... But let's keep that for another day.

I have refused to be a part of the worldwide celebrations to the chagrin of my dear wife. How unromantic! She'd chide. No matter how you spin it I couldn't bring myself to pay RM15 for a single rose, or some obscene amount of money for a candle lit dinner for two that she would not finish.

So there you have it my context for Valentine's day. I am definitely not a fan.

But recently a bunch of overzealous Muslim fools went and made a huge issue about Valentine's day being a Christian celebration and it propagated immoral Christian values. JAKIM (Selangor's religious authorities) went so far as to embark on a "Beware The Valentine's Trap" Campaign, naming it as such. The goal was to deter Muslims from celebrating Valentine's Day, educating them of it's "Christian" origin and to enforce laws to up hold Muslim morality (as if they understood the concept).

According to JAKIM Valentine's day - the Christian celebration, was one of the reasons there were so many unwanted pregnancies amongst  Muslims, it was also cited as a reason why Muslim couples had pre marital sex amongst other things.

As a Christian, I am enraged.

Did JAKIM and their band of idiots just imply, if not outrightly say that Christianity promotes a sinful lifestyle? Sure seems like it to me. If the goal of every Christian is to be Christ like, is it not a huge insult to the character of Christ?

Dear idiots at JAKIM, I address the following directly at you and your like minded band of idiots.

Your unfounded, fear feeding policies have in one fell swoop insulted my faith and the faith of my fathers. If you show me no consideration, why other than the fact that that Christ said "turn the left cheek" should I show you any?

The Muslim prophet purportedly consummated his marriage with his "wife" when she was just nine (he was 54 at that time). Do I hear cries of pedophile/ rape? shouldn't he be then recognised as the patron for pedophiles and rapists? Isn't Islam then the religion of pedophiles and rapists? Why then are we, innocent non Muslims, subjected to a national holiday to commemorate his birthday? I don't know about you, but I personally don't identify with pedophiles or rapists.

Since you recognise the work of those who bomb churches and airplanes in the defense of the faith. Is Islam then the religion of murderers as well?

OF COURSE NOT!!!

I don't think anyone capable of intelligent thinking would think so. The world generally would not consider a notion to brand you as such. To do so would show such callowness that is only reserved for the likes of you.

No comments: